In the corridors of modern retail, a question frequently asked is, “What is personal shopping?” While personal shopping might evoke images of exclusive boutiques and luxury department stores, its definition is expanding. Advances in digital are redefining personal shopping in the landscape of e-commerce, offering the same level of customization and interaction you’d find in physical retail settings.
What is Personal Shopping?
Personal shopping, in its traditional sense, refers to a specialized service where an expert selects and purchases products on behalf of a client. These personal shoppers are savvy in fashion, trends, and the needs of their clients, often cultivating a one-on-one relationship to understand their unique tastes and requirements.
What is Live Shopping in E-commerce?
As we navigate the maze of online retail, the concept of personal shopping is being adapted for the digital world. Technology plays a crucial role in this transition:
- Live Shopping: This is where real-time video engagement steps in, adding a human, that results in interactivity and personalization to the eCommerce shopping experience.
- AI and Machine Learning: Algorithms analyse user behaviour and preferences, offering personalized product recommendations tailored to individual needs.
- Data Analysis: E-commerce platforms use data analytics to track customer habits, seasonal trends, and potential upselling opportunities.
Personal Shopping in the Context of Virtual Appointments and Live Shopping
Virtual appointments are the digital equivalent of an in-store consultation. Scheduled in advance, these 1-2-1 sessions offer a personalized shopping experience, replicating the intimacy and focus of a real-world appointment.
Virtual Shopping On-Demand with Live Shopping
Personal shopping isn’t just confined to pre-arranged appointments. Many e-commerce sites now offer on-demand virtual shopping, triggered directly from the website. Just a click, and you’re in a real-time video session with a retail expert. This instant interaction addresses the need for immediate gratification, providing instant solutions and impulsive shopping experiences. In a nutshell, live shopping is revolutionizing what personal shopping means in the context of e-commerce.
It also brings in loyal customers at scale.
Benefits of Personal Shopping for E-commerce
When we talk about “what is personal shopping,” the benefits extend far beyond just ‘making a sale.’ Here’s why e-commerce platforms should seriously consider integrating personal shopping features:
- Enhanced Customer Experience: Personal shoppers can navigate a customer through different products, offering a curated and meaningful journey.
- High Conversion Rates: With expert advice and instant clarifications, the likelihood of cart abandonment significantly decreases, pushing conversion rates above the industry average.
- Increase in Average Order Value: Personal shoppers can upsell or cross-sell products effectively, resulting in a basket size that is, on average, 49% higher than without personal shopping.
- Reduced Cart Abandonment: Real-time assistance and personalized recommendations mean fewer customers leaving their carts behind.
- Lower Return Rates: The likelihood of a customer returning a product decreases by 37% when a personal shopper assists them, resulting in increased customer satisfaction and reduced operational costs.
- Customer Loyalty: By offering personalized experiences, e-commerce platforms can engender a sense of loyalty among their customers, encouraging repeat purchases and long-term relationships.
Statistics on Personal Online Shopping
The numbers speak for themselves:
- The global market for personal shopping is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.2% over the next five years, reaching an estimated valuation of $50 billion.
- Case studies have reported an average increase in conversion rates by 20% when live shopping features are integrated. That’s double the industry standard.
- About 70% of customers say they prefer online stores with personalized shopping options, affirming the potential of this retail strategy.
- Customer retention rates have shown to increase by up to 30% when personal shopping features are used, underscoring its impact on brand loyalty.
- In a survey, 85% of customers who had used personal shopping services online expressed a high level of satisfaction, highlighting its role in customer engagement and satisfaction.
The Intersection of Personal Shopping and Clienteling
As e-commerce professionals navigate the question, “What is personal shopping?” a closely related term comes to the fore—clienteling. Clienteling goes beyond the single transaction to build a long-term relationship with the customer. It involves maintaining detailed customer profiles, preferences, and history to offer personalized services, much like an in-store sales associate would do. In a digital context, clienteling can dovetail perfectly with personal shopping features like virtual appointments and live shopping. Leveraging data analytics and real-time engagement, businesses can offer a hyper-personalized shopping experience. This amalgamation of personal shopping and clienteling doesn’t just increase conversion rates or average order value in the short term; it fosters customer loyalty for sustainable long-term growth. As customer expectations for tailored experiences rise, the convergence of personal shopping and clienteling is not just an option but a necessity for e-commerce platforms looking to differentiate themselves in a crowded marketplace.
Examples of Personal Shopping in E-commerce
Case Study 1: L’Occitane – Skincare retailer
L’Occitane Incorporated live shopping into their brand’s strategy to allow customers to discover the power of personalized, immersive, and convenient beauty shopping experiences
Case Study 2: Bridgman Furniture
As a luxury furniture retailer, Bridgman used Confer With’s live one-to-one video shopping solution to enable Bridgman’s sales experts to have open and personalised conversations with their customers from the comfort of their own homes.
Case Study 3: Nordgreen – buying a watch online
Confer With’s platform enabled Nordgreen to offer fully customisable watches inside a video call: the customer can work with a personal shopper to choose the strap material, watch face and a variety of colours.
In a world that asks, “What is personal shopping?”, e-commerce offers a compelling answer. Bridging the gap between the online and offline realms, personal shopping in the digital domain is more than a trend; it’s a revolution. Integrating features like virtual appointments and live shopping can propel your e-commerce business to unprecedented
When you ask, “What is personal shopping?”, e-commerce offers a compelling solution when linked to live shopping. Bridging the gap between the online and offline, personal shopping in the digital domain is a practical way to move forward with enhancing the customer experience. Now that personal shopping can be done at scale, there is an opportunity. Integrating features like virtual appointments and live shopping can propel your e-commerce business to greater success.